Discussion - What you need to get started with ROS (Getting Ready for ROS Pt 1)

Blog Post

This is the discussion topic for the video and blog post linked above. Please keep all replies relevant to the content, otherwise create a new topic.

Hi Josh!

I love your video tutorials. I am trying to follow them from start to finish myself!

I have a slight issue:
First, my dev machine is running on a virtual VMWare is Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (works perfectly great!). I have ROS 2 Foxy installed on it.
However, I am trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 ARM64 onto my RPi (or the MATE version which you showed), but today, they are both no longer available (the 20.04 versions) on their downloads page… Am I not finding it correctly? If not…

Do you think it’s okay if I use Ubuntu 22.04 for my RPi? Would it affect ROS 2 Foxy (since I believe it’s compatible with 20.04)? I saw that you upgraded to ROS 2 Humble later on in your videos, should I just try this whole tutorial with Humble and try my best to follow, hoping there’s not much difference?

If that’s the case, should I also add Humble to my dev machine (which currently only has Foxy)?

Thank you so so much!
P.S. I subscribed to your Patreon to show some support! I’m not sure how to use the messaging system on Discourse but would messaging over your Discord channel work better?