Mecanum wheeled turtle

Hey there,

This is my Omni-bot. I have been working on this project for a while. I started it with Noetic and Melodic.

I joined the Articulated ROBOTICS community because I really learned a lot from the videos and wanted to support this. I like it when information just comes naturally, that’s what Josh does.

A month ago I found his tutorials and although my robot has 4 wheels I still think I can pick up some good things here. I already wanted to rebuild and upgrade the turtle with ROS2 and some better hardware like the Jetson NX and Zed mini depth cam so I disassembled it a mouth ago and started with a clean install of ROS2 foxy. I already ran into the differences because of my 2 extra wheels, and I’m working very hard to keep up with the 2 wheeled turtles.

I also hope to meet people here, in the past 5 years I have not met any people with the same passion for robotics. So it 'll be nice to have a chat here…

cheers!

2 Likes

Wow, nice job!
Mecanum wheels are one of those things I’ve always meant to try and never got around to…maybe next time :stuck_out_tongue:

But I love your design, the 18650s are great (looks like a lot of juice there!), and I enjoyed the ending of that video, a bit too real for me!

P.S. I edited your post slightly so that the video preview shows up, I hope that’s ok!

Hi Bart,
I like what you’ve done! It’s a nice clean design. I’ve used mechanum wheels in my volunteer job with the local high school robotics team. They work pretty well although there is slippage over time. The nice thing is you can treat a quad mechanum drive robot just like a differential drive since it will spin in place.